Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Splashy Hearty Duochrome


Couple of weeks ago I bought nail polish from SaSa and Daiso. They don't belong to any well-known brands and they are cheap. However like the rest of the cheap polish, they carry strong awful smell and tend to chip fast.

After my failure in nail marbling, I needed something new, easy to accomplish but not too ordinary. I swatched a few from my collection to test the colors and decided on these two:

L-R: Splash S031 from SaSa, Heart No.2 from Daiso

Cute bottle from Heart nail enamel!

Heart nail enamel No.2 is milky white packed with pink and subtle green shimmer. It's a duochrome!


For Splash S031, it's an awesome blue jelly, bright and fresh in shade. It's sheer and may most likely reach opacity in 4-5 coats but I was blown by the jelly finish and the pretty blue. Application for both Splash and Heart was, sadly, terrible. The brushes were stiff, hard to control and all over the place, like they had a mind of their own. It's advisable to put light strokes on each nail and fill up any bald patches with each coat.

Index finger: 1 coat. The rest: 2 coats
3 coats of Splash S031

When dried, I applied Heart No.2. With 1 coat it became bluish-green. With 2 coats it was green with blue duochrome. Outstanding! My curiosity got better of me and I painted the 3rd coat. The duochrome faded a notch down and emerged as turquoise chrome with hints of blue seen at an angle.

Taken indoors, artificial light

Duochrome in green and blue

The next day, I took some shots at the front porch;



The manicure was too thick and resulted in bubbles forming on the nails. Nonetheless I was happy with it. The turquoise chrome was striking and gorgeous! It flashed blue and teal whenever I moved my hands, even my boyfriend liked it.. Ha!

Before heading out to meet my best friend, I received the parcel from Secret Allure!

L-R: China Glaze Crackle in Cracked Concrete, Color Club Fractured in Smash Hit and Nubar 2010

I decided to slap some goodness on my nails... Nubar 2010!

Well hello holo flakies!

Duochrome with holo flakies. How's that?

The magic of Nubar 2010

One complaint: I had the infamous Seche Vite shrinkage; the blue base was evident at the tips. I also realized my previous marbled nails suffered the same fate. I love Seche Vite but the shrinkage is annoying!

3 coats of Splash S031
3 coats of Heart No.2
2 coats of Nubar 2010
Seche Clear base coat
Seche Vite dry fast top coat

Here's a quick swatch of Color Club Smash Hit on my thumb nail.


No comments: