Thursday, August 25, 2011

OPI + Sally Hansen = Nail Marbling


And so I did marbling. I read about it, watched YouTubes tutorials, took in few tips from there and went ahead with my experiment. It is indeed a very tacky process with hit-or-miss results. Cleaning up is a bitch, especially on the edges!

But I enjoyed it. Adding colors into water, creating pattern, getting your nails "painted" in various colors all in one go is FUN!

For my first try, I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Beige Blast as the base. Application was thin and runny, it required 3 thin coats for opacity showing hints of nail line. I love the flathead brush, it's easier to apply and covers the nails in few strokes! For marbling, I had it with OPI Funkey Dunkey, OPI Miami Beet and OPI Jade Is The New Black.

L-R: OPI Funkey Dunky, Sally Hansen Beige Blast, OPI Miami Beet, OPI Jade Is The New Black

Flathead brush from Sally Hansen Insta-Dri collection

I thought my marbling went well without glitches. At least everything went on smoothly in the making. Sure the pattern was not uniform across all nails, I have yet to excel in that. What I didn't expect was shades that appeared washed-out in some nails. Why? I don't know :( My color combination sucked too; the berry & purple didn't shine together, this green & purple didn't look great either.

I did my base and marbling in 2 hours, with remakes & touch-ups included. When it was all over the table was littered with toothpicks, paint, stains, scotch-tapes, soiled paper towels and dirty bowl. Oh my.

 
 
 

Above photos show my marbled mani without clean-up done. Ok I lied. I cleaned the edges but wasn't too conscientious in it... hence the ugly sight. I also have issue in applying polish without staining my cuticles - I find it hard to leave a consistent gap between both, I need to practice more!

Despite the fug design, fast chipping and awful ends, I wore this mani for a week! (shamelessly)

3 thin coats of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Beige Blast
3 droplets of OPI Funky Dunky
3 droplets of OPI Miami Beet
3 droplets of OPI Jade Is The New Black
Seche Clear base coat
Seche Vite dry fast top coat

No comments: